Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Unforgettable Moments

1. Taking a tour with Pastor Jeronimo-- one of the most faithful, as in FAITH-filled, men I have ever met-- of the CRI projects (Creche Daycare, Pequenas Sementes Preschool, Escola El Shaddai, the farm, the clinic, future site for the vo-tech bakery, maternity center, etc...).

In the midst of extreme poverty and death, seeing so much God in so many things... His Kingdom is breaking through in hearts and lives in Dondo.

2. Having hundreds of beautiful Mozambican toddlers and children climb all over me...

One little three year old girl, who thought this blonde was quite odd looking, climbed into my arms, licked her hand, and began smoothing down my hair. I have never been covered in so many boogers and spit in my entire life, yet I am considering never showering again:)

3. Taking a very eye-opening walking tour of Dondo, led by a young man named Horacio.

He is 26 years old and a teacher at one of the project preschools. In his back pocket he carries around a tattered notebook to write down new English words and phrases. We stopped along the way to share life over Lemon Twist sodas and then he took us to his one room, dirt floor house and asked for us to pray for him and his family. What a powerful, out of body experience.

4. Dancing and singing praises to God in Portuguese... Actually having conversations and praying with people in "Sportuguese" (my own made up mixture of Spanish and Portuguese that seems to work quite well).

Tomorrow I settle into a more permanent post, at least for the rest of this week. I will be teaching two sessions of English in the morning at the preschool and at the elementary school. Then, in the afternoon, I will be working with the Activistas for the AIDS hospice care program called Proyecto Vida.

So much more to say, so much more sleep needed:)

Até amanhã!

Steph

4 comments:

Mumsy said...

Hey Sweetie,

We are praying for you. It is great to read your very "Stephanie expressive" blog. I feel like I'm there. :-)

TQM -
Mumsy

angelamae said...

I love the snot and am so excited for Sportuguese! It's good to hear and feel you experiences. May His Kingdom come. Love ya.

Karen said...

Love you Steph...so excited for you and all the windows and doors God is opening...and for your heart...your "realness" shines through all your posts. Can't wait to hear more.

Jenn Cepek said...

I'm praying for you. Thank you for sharing a small glipse of this. Love you Steph.