Wednesday, October 1, 2008

At the Starting Blocks

Welcome to my Africa blog! I have included my support letter (see below) to bring people up to speed on the purpose of this trip.

In exactly two days I will be boarding a plane bound for Mozambique (an 18 hour flight when it's all said and done!). This week has been full of preparations and I liken my feelings of excitement and expectation to the moments before the shotgun goes off at a track meet. You have trained and prepared; now all you can do is line up. Feet positioned in the blocks, fingers forming a high bridge, head down-- you are suddenly aware of your own breathing. The course is in your mind, but before you fix your sight on the 1-2 meters of track ahead, your vision locks onto that which is directly beneath you-- the yellow laces on your spikes.

Right now I am at that point... looking at my laces-- unsure of what beauty and destruction they will encounter as I navigate the unfamiliar soil of paths a world away, expectant of all that God will do in and through our team. I hope to bring some of that earth back home with me, caked into the crevices of my running shoes-- forever altering my gait.

Many, many, MANY thanks to all of you who have supported me financially and committed to covering us in prayer. Your role is vital! My heart continues to overflow with gratitude for God's full provision of funds for the trip! I have learned a great lesson: my conservative and meager math is no substitute for God's economy.

Donations of supplies requested by CRI have rolled in, slowly and surely, and tonight we will meet at the church to divide and balance things out amongst our bags. Pray that we would have no troubles at customs in Johannesburg or Beira. Please also pray for protection, health, clarity and revelation from the Lord.

I am so truly blessed to play even a small part in the work that Children's Relief is doing in Dondo. Our God, who loves justice, doesn't need us to go down there and "fix" anything, but it's His joy to let us help so that we might see that His love is so much bigger than you and me.

I titled this blog "Oaks of Righteousness" after Isaiah chapter 61. Read it if you get a chance, it speaks God's heart.

At this point, I don't know how much internet access I will have, but fear not! If I can't update this very often, I will still be journaling and will share my experiences upon return to the US.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for creating this blog! Much love to you!