Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I'm Going to Africa



Family and friends,

I am writing to share a bit of exciting news with you, but first allow me to catch you up on life these past few months. I live in Chicago and continue to do marketing and recruitment for Semester In Spain at Trinity Christian College. My job has blessed me with many opportunities for travel around the US and back and forth to Spain. I will, however, soon be embarking on a very different kind of journey.

As most of you know, my experience as a missionary kid in rural Mexico instilled in me a deep desire to see the cycle of poverty broken through the love of Jesus Christ in action—propelling people from limited opportunities to a life with salvation and purpose. I know that this tug on my heart runs much deeper than just upbringing.

In October, through a partnership with my church, Vineyard of Oak Park, and Children’s Relief International (CRI), I have the opportunity to serve with in Mozambique, Africa for two weeks. We will be working in the village of Dondo, one of the poorest communities in the world with a staggeringly high rate of HIV-AIDS. I will be assisting the after school programs, visiting patients in the clinic, and doing miscellaneous manual labor. Part of my role will be to help teach workshops for AIDS widows who, with the help of CRI, are starting their own businesses. For the past six months I have been involved designing marketing materials and fundraising for these fledgling microfinance projects and cannot wait to meet the recipients!

Mostly, I will be learning. I have no doubt that it will be a life-changing experience that will draw my heart closer to the plight of the poor and fuel me to engage others in the great work of bringing the life and light of Jesus where there is death and darkness.

No comments: